Wednesday, May 20, 2009

They come for you in the night

I had a dream two nights ago that there was going to be a draft. Every young man was going to be drafted and, you know what? We were all excited for it. We were thrilled, we couldn't wait. I went in with about 30 men my age for training, and we spent the first few days just sitting in a classroom. It was agonizing! I wrote home to a friend that everything was going well, morale and spirits were high, we were just so slow going. When was this thing going to get started? We wanted to get the ball rolling, to start really doing the stuff we had all anticipated. I'm not sure if I was eager for the eventual war itself or just the intense training that I know was presently going to happen.

I woke up and immediately thought of ways I'd dodge the draft if it ever came to that. It was like something out of a history textbook; first they have a passage in italic script and with a darker color background, and then at the end it says what are some of things you'd do if there were a draft? Brainstorm. Only history textbooks never ask you to put yourself in the shoes of your predecessors, because then you might think for yourself, as opposed to reciting the jingoistic themes that the books have already shoved down your throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment