Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Just when I thought I was out...

I thought I was finally escaping next Friday. Friday the 17th was supposed to be my last day, and then I had from then until Tuesday to fuck around in San Jose; looking at future apartments, seeing friends I hadn't seen in a long time, and bask in the glory of not Vacaville.

But no such luck. When he was considering joining Grey Daze, at the beginning of this year, my dad asked me whether I thought he should join. "You're already a member of two other bands, and you have a store that depends on you to work often 50 hours a week. You work Tuesday through Saturday, and sometimes Sunday as well. How are you going to find time to commit to the schedule of a third band?"

He assured me that the band was willing to work around his schedule. He mentioned that they offered to practice Monday evenings, which he would always be able to make. He was sure that double-booking himself wouldn't be the issue, he was unsure for other reasons. So he joined that band and quit one of his others. And has joined two more since.

You don't get to take off time from your regular job in order to work another paying gig. I firmly believe in that. If you're in a band, you have to work around your day job schedule. If you're in four bands and work 50 hours a week...well, you're pretty much fucked. I don't know, I'm just ranting at this point. It makes me really, really upset that I have to come back that Saturday and work at that hell hole. In fact, I'm going back to bed, because I'm depressed about it. Not only do I miss out on the thing I have most looked forward to (ie, being OUT of Vacaville, being on my own and starting my life again), but I have to do the thing I least like to do: work a stressful job that I have never been trained for and don't know how to do.

I've worked there a few times before and I understand that I'm under an obligation to help out my parents since they're putting me up free of rent. But I thought I was free! I tasted freedom!

No, I can't do it. I need to look for a new apartment that weekend. I need to hang out with Dan that weekend. It's my only chance to do either of those things. I'll be leaving for Boston the following weekend, and then Dan's leaving. If I am forced to do this, I might not be able to look at apartments until 1 August at the earliest. That's way too late for an August 20 move-in date. I can't do it. I don't know what they're going to do, but this isn't possible for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment